Friday 23 May 2008

Almost regular now!

21st May

Today was a great day for golf and gradually I am making some improvements – getting a consistent 200yd Drive (I know its quite short but better than a year ago). Made Par on 4 holes and made a hash of 7 holes! Total score 104 (Par 72) but hey ho Friday may see another round.

Finished the Keith Ward – got to love his take in the conclusion – Christian fundamentalism is centred on a desire to create an exclusive group for the wealthy western middle class and virtually excludes the dispossessed and those of lower “status”. He also concludes that the fundamentalists seek to return to the kind of religion which was desired by the medieval catholics, they were found wanting and so will the fundamentalists be. He rather hopefully concludes that they will “fade away”; one can only pray that this will be true. All in all I found the book to be very positive, but lacking in references for further reading. That would seem to be the only serious flaw.

Been to the gym as well – putting the orthotics into my running shoes makes all the difference to my ongoing minor ankle injury. I suspect that continued use will see the back of this problem.

Champions League final is in penalties as I write – nail biting…All it needs is for John Terry to miss… And He Does!!! Woodwork takes a battering.

The reds win – glorious!

23rd May

Another morning of golf – very variable – for a start I got stuck behind a 4 ball which was moving very slowly and the guy behind me gave up after the 7th in utter disbelief at the slowness. I hoped they would move off after the 10th, but they were bent on continuing so I headed in as well and had a lesson with the pro. I am making some progress and I worked on approach / transition shots. As ever I learnt some new tricks and I shall try and get some practice in this weekend, despite being on call.

I am reading the Irresistible inheritance of Wilberforce, a slightly strange book but one which is quite appealing. I think I will never look at a glass of wine in the same way again. If you read “Salmon Fishing in the Yemen”; it’s nothing like that! I might have to buy another copy though as my copy went to the charity shop last year.

Still trying to book a New Year skiing break but am waiting on a hotel to contact me after my request – I might have to give up on them and go for someone else.

Forgot to mention that we went to see Deception with Ewan Macgregor. This is an excellent thriller with a great twist or two. I spotted the classic honey-trap but missed the other point until the end of the movie – good scripting – loved it.

No comments: