Tuesday 22 April 2008

It always seems a very long time between posts..

It has been so long since I last posted that I cannot remember the thread of my thoughts and even if I was to re-read the previous posts, I would still not be able to recreate the point I had reached. A lot of water has passed under the bridge. The laptop HDD died and required recovery by a very expensive team of experts. It is now working perfectly, although it takes time to sort all those little settings out e.g. for instance I am using “Word” at the moment and the default font is Times-new-Roman and I hate it and need to reset it to something more acceptable like Tahoma. At least I have all my files now and that should make the talk to the nursery children on Friday a bit easier – I have a powerpoint for that.

Currently I am reading “More Bollocks to Alton Towers”. If you have not read the first one then you will not understand the second, but it is a glorious celebration of the Great British tourist attraction. I love it as it provides me with masses of potential points for further investigation. I guess you are either a bit of a nerd or you’re not. I am also reading “You don’t have to be evil to work here, but it helps” by Tom Holt – again Tom is a bit of an acquired taste and the only way to describe it is to say that it is absurdist fiction set in a very normal world.

The Angels and Airwaves gig at the Manchester Academy on the 10th of April was fantastic, but very very sweaty. I have not been that involved in a gig since I was 20. The support “You, Me at six” were very good and certainly a better opener than Biffy Clyro for Linkin Park. The next gig should be a lot more sedate – Jethro Tull at The Sands in Carlisle.

The other major event of the last while, was our trip to Africa. I have written a diary and as soon as I have copied it in, I will post it here, as I don’t want to have to do things twice. Tanzania is fantastic and I would recommend anyone to go there. You do need to do it some style to make the best of it though. We went with CC Africa as a tour operator. They are a fantastic company and their lodges are superb. We flew in and out with Emirates business class. Their service is always great and for that distance peasant class would be horrible.

I did however watch “I am Legend” on the flight – avoid like plague. I am so glad I never bought the movie. I have also watched “The last King of Scotland”, since being back home – that is superb, although not a comfortable watch. The Simpsons movie is not bad – a reasonable plot and some good comic moments – not a classic but enjoyable all the same. “The Baker” with Damian Lewis is a great British comedy and is easily up there with the best high-budget jobs, even though it looks to have been shot on a home video with a budget of 20p.

Back at work now though – things tickling along, but as ever could always use a bit more cash.

Running going OK again – need to get ready for the K2B now. The Grizedale10 went well on the 15th March – 77mins for 10 miles and came 78th out of 250. I was quite pleased indeed. Holiday and work have conspired against training for the last month but am hoping to get a good 20mile run in on Thursday. I am also booked on another trail run in October. Firstly need to get that K2B out of the way – less than 8hh this year would be good.

No comments: